A theatre-themed library nestled in a quiet mountain village
Torigoe Library is situated in the Saruhachi area deep in the Kosado mountains. About 20,000 books were donated by Bunzo Torigoe, who is an expert in the studies of classical performing arts and serves as a professor emeritus at Waseda University. Ken Nishihashi, a Bunya puppeteer who came to live in Saruhachi from the mainland, also had a role in the donation. Bunzo Torigoe was inspired by Ken Nishihashi, who were actively involved in the community revitalisation by making use of the Bunya Puppet Theatre. Trigoe Library offers access to books related to performing arts and theatre, and other books in a wide variety of genres.
- Museums, Art Galleries and Resource Centres
- 329 Saruhachi, Sado, Niigata 952-0215
- Telephone Number
- Official site
- Web URL
- Assistance in Foreign Languages
- Not available
- Opening Times
- 9:00 - 17:00
- Wednesdays and the 3rd Friday of the month (if the Friday is a public holiday, it will be open but closed on the following day.) Closed at year-end and New Year's
- Not Available
- General Accessibility
- Not Available
- Transport Access
- Ryotsu Port Approx 45 by car
- Nearest bus stop
- Hatano Nishimachi（Minamisen (South Line)） Approx. 90 minutes on foot from bus stop
Points of interest near Torigoe Library
Saruhachi Terraced Rice Fields
Although it is located just 20 minutes by car from the nearest shopping area, thatched roof houses still remain ...
- Shrines and Buddhist Temples
Founded by Kobo Daishi (Kukai) in 807, Chokokuji Temple is an ancient temple which imitates Hasedera Temple in Y...
Ogura Senmaida (terraced rice fields)
Small rice fields are located side-by-side on a slope of a mountain close to Ogura Dam, along Prefectural Route ...