Hori Kinen Kanai Nohgakudo
Noh theatre built on the grounds with a connection to Zeami (a 14th, 15th-century actor and playwright)
Kanai Nohgakudo is a Noh theatre located in the Kanai area, which is known as Zeami's place of exile. The theatre hosts a variety of events, including Noh performances, throughout the year. The indoor stage is arranged with seating areas set up on three sides. It consists of a 6-meter mainstage constructed from Japanese cypress, an approximately 10-meter long hashigakari (ridgeway), and a kagami-ita (back wall) with a painting of a pine tree. Kanai Nohgakudo was built on the former site of the residence of Mr Jibu Hori and his wife, who were honourary citizens of the former Kanai Town. A statue commemorating their contribution to their hometown stands within the grounds.
- Noh Stages
- 371- Ko Nakaoku, Sado, Niigata 952-1211
- Contact Information
- Sado City Board of Education Kanai office：0259-63-4151
- Official site
- Web URL
- Payment Methods
- Credit cards not accepted:
- Assistance in Foreign Languages
- Not available
- Opening Times
- Open upon reservation only
- Closed Dec. 29th – Jan. 3rd
- Depends on the group. Please contact for details.
- Facilities and Service
- Training room, conference room, etc.
- Not Available
- Disabled Access
- Not Available
- Transport Access
- Ryotsu Port Approx 20 by car
- Nearest bus stop
- Nougyou Gijutsu Center (Sado Agricultural Technology Center)（Honsen (Main Line)、Kuninaka Line、Kanamarusen Line、Akadomarisen Line、Kaifu Line、Ogi Line、Iwakubi Line） Approx. 2 minutes on foot from bus stop
Points of interest near Hori Kinen Kanai Nohgakudo
- Gift Shops
Sado Nyugyo (dairy company)
Sado milk is delicious with a smooth finish. Cows raised at Clean Milk Production Farm, which has adopted the HA...
- Heritage and Relics
Kuroki Palace is the ruins of the residence where Emperor Juntoku lived after being exiled to Sado as an alleged...
- Shrines and Buddhist Temples
In 1324, Shohoji Temple was established to take care of deceased ancestors of the Honma family, the feudal lord ...