Tsugami Shrine

A tutelary god of the sea enshrined on the Isle of Tsugami

The Okawa village on the east coast of Sado thrived as a port of merchant shipping during the Edo Period (1603-1867), with shipping agents standing side by side. Tsugami Shrine, a mainstay of this village, houses two well-worshipped deities, a god of safety for vessels on the kitamaebune western shipping route, and a god of good commerce. Tsugami Shrine used to be situated behind the village, and was reputedly relocated to where it now stands sometime before the Genroku era (1688 - 1704). Farther beyond the red Tsugami bridge, the main hall lies and enshrines the sea gods of Sumiyoshi.

  • Shrines and Buddhist Temples
  • Shrines and Buddhist Temples
Address
613 Ryotsu Ogawa, Sado, Niigata 952-3435
Transport Access
Ryotsu Port Approx 15 minutes by car
Nearest bus stop
Ookawa(Higashikaigansen Line) Approx. 3 minutes on foot from bus stop
Parking
1

About by car from Ryotsu Port.