Ushio Shrine

An old, stately shrine on a cedar hill

Ushio Shrine is familiar to locals, which is called "Katagami no Tenno-san," (Gozutenno in Katagami). The reconstructed hall of worship is richly embellished with elaborate sculptures depicting swimming carps and a story related to Emperor Juntoku. It reminds us of the skills and techniques of master carpenters and great craftsmen of the time. The shrine was established in 792 by dividing gods, including Okuninushinomikoto (a god of nation-building, farming, etc.), from Izumo Taisha Shrine in Shimane Prefecture and re-enshrining them here. The sacred tree in front of the hall of worship, estimated at 1,000 years of age, is revered as a cedar that brings fertility and easy delivery. The Noh stage with a hip-and-gable tiled roof in front, and a hipped roof in the back, was reconstructed in 1901. It is a Niigata Prefectural Tangible Cultural Asset and it is one of the four Noh stages in the Kuninaka area where Noh performances were regularly held. The shrine has a long track record of Noh performances. It still keeps Noh masks of Okina (an older man with a white beard) and Sanbaso (the black mask of an older man) as the shrine's treasures, both of which are designated Niigata Prefectural Tangible Cultural Assets. Bonfire Noh performances are held in the evening before the annual festival in June.

  • Noh Stages
  • Noh Stages
  • Shrines and Buddhist Temples
Address
2529 Niibo Katagami, Sado, Niigata 952-0103
Contact Information
0259-22-2237
Transport Access
Ryotsu Port Approx 10 by car
Nearest bus stop
Tennoushita(Minamisen (South Line)) Approx. 10 minutes on foot from bus stop
Parking
5