Ryotsu Catholic Church
A base for the Catholic Church in Sado with an exotic feel
Christianity is considered to have been brought to Sado first in the Edo Period (1603-1867). Ryotsu Catholic Church was founded by a French Christian missionary, Fr. Drouart De Lezey. It was burnt down once in 1883, but was reconstructed by a missionary, De Noailles, in 1887. The church building was designed by Father Papino, who designed many churches in Japan.
- 249 Ryotsu Ebisu, Sado, Niigata 952-0011
- Contact Information
- Ryotsu Catholic Church：0259-27-2306
- Transport Access
- Ryotsu Port Approx 5 by car
- Nearest bus stop
- Fukuura（Honsen (Main Line)） Approx. 3 minutes on foot from bus stop
- Not Available
Points of interest near Ryotsu Catholic Church
- Gift Shops
- Food Experiences
Umaimon-ya (farm shop)
Umaimon-ya's retail focuses on locally produced foodstuffs, prepared foods, and processed foods. Here, local pro...
- Heritage and Relics
Murasame no Matsu (rain-showered pine)
Within the grounds of Sado Japan Coast Guard Station, a Japanese black pine tree with beautifully shaped branche...
- Waterfalls, Ponds and the Lake
Lake Kamo, with approximately 17km of circumferences, is the largest one in Niigata Prefecture. Originally, the ...