Hiyoshi Shrine

"Sanno-san", a landmark in Niibo

Hiyoshi Shrine is familiar to locals, and known as "Sanno-san". The shrine was established in 1226 for Emperor Juntoku, who was banished to Sado, after his high ranking servant, Kiyonori Ike, initiated dividing and re-enshrining the god enshrined at Hiyoshi Taisha Shrine in Omi (present-day Shiga Prefecture). Many wooden and stone statues of monkeys, messengers of a god, can be seen around the grounds of the shrine. The statues include the "three wise monkeys", which are Mizaru, covering his eyes; Kikazaru, covering his ears; and Iwazaru, covering his mouth. The most important annual festival is held over three days in April.

  • Shrines and Buddhist Temples
Address
Kaminiibo, Sado, Niigata 952-0108
Transport Access
Ryotsu Port Approx 15 minutes by car
Nearest bus stop
Niibo Shougakkoumae(Minamisen (South Line)) Approx. 0 minutes on foot from bus stop
Parking
Not Available

About by car from Ryotsu Port.