Honkoji Temple (in Izumi)

An ancient temple with a temple treasure of Emperor Juntoku's buddha statue

Honkoji was founded in 1310 by a Buddhist monk Nissho Shonin, who became a strong believer of Nikko Shonin. It sits in the neibourhood of the ruins of Kuroki Palace, where Emperor Juntoku used to live. The temple treasures a wood-carved standing statue of Seikannon (Goddess of Mercy), a designated National Important Cultural Property, which is one of the four statues that Emperor Juntoku brought with him from Kyoto. The temple also has a Mandala (Sado City's designated Tangible Cultural Asset) drawn by Nikko Shonin, who was a leading disciple of Nichiren Shonin (founder of Nichiren School of Buddhism exiled to Sado).

  • Shrines and Buddhist Temples
Address
377 Kou Izumi, Sado, Niigata 952-1212
Contact Information
0259-63-3314
Transport Access
Ryotsu Port Approx 25 by car
Nearest bus stop
Izumi(Honsen (Main Line)) Approx. 10 minutes on foot from bus stop
Parking
10