Nikuu Shrine

A graceful shrine dedicated to the second princess of Emperor Juntoku

The site where Nikuu Shrine stands used to be a temporary residence, built by the Kamakura Shogunate at the birth of the second daughter of Emperor Juntoku, Imperial Princess Chushi. In honor of the wild irises ("shobu," in Japanese) in full bloom, Emperor Juntoku named the residence Shobuden (literally: iris residence). Dedicated to Princess Chushi, who passed away at the age of eighteen, the shrine buildings were constructed as Nikuu Daimyojin (a shrine) during Emperor Gofukakusa's reign (mid-13th century). Both Shobuden, which enshrines the hair of Princess Chushi, and the graveyard, under management of the Imperial Household Agency, stand within the grounds. There is a Noh stage, too, which has a thatched, hipped roof and is situated, with woods at its back, to the southeast of the main building.

  • Noh Stages
  • Shrines and Buddhist Temples
Address
232-2 Niku, Sado, Niigata 952-1308
Transport Access
Ryotsu Port Approx 30 minutes by car
Nearest bus stop
Kajimachi Nakahara(Honsen (Main Line)) Approx. 20 minutes on foot from bus stop
Parking
Not Available

About by car from Ryotsu Port.