Meiji Kinendo Memorial

A memorial hall dedicated to the war dead overseas

Meiji Kinendo was founded by Ryokan Honjo, a Buddhist monk of Tokushoji Temple, to comfort the souls of about Sado Islanders who died for their country in the First Sino-Japanese War, funded by donations. Later, the souls of the dead in the Russo-Japanese War, Japanese Siberian Intervention, and Manchuria Incident were enshrined together. A board inscribed with a writing of Meiji Kinendo by a calligrapher Banko Yoshida is hung in front, and hand writings of Field Marshal Iwao Oyama, Katsu Kaishu (a naval officer and mediator in the Meiji Restoration in 1898), and Marshal Admiral Togo are hung inside. There is also a graveyard for Russian navy crews within the grounds.

  • Other
Address
154 Hei Chigusa, Sado, Niigata 952-1209
Transport Access
Ryotsu Port Approx 20 minutes by car
Nearest bus stop
Kanai Gakkoumae(Honsen (Main Line)) Approx. 3 minutes on foot from bus stop
Parking
Not Available

About by car from Ryotsu Port.