Sado Daikannon Showaden
Marvel at the world's largest wooden Buddha statue
A group of Buddha statues, numbering over 220, is installed in one corner of the Nakaoku area. The main image of Buddha is the Eleven-Headed Kannon Bosatsu a.k.a. Sado Daikannon (Ekadaśamukha), which was erected in 1970, and initiated by Ryukai Yamaguchi, the 24th generation of head priests at Ishina Seisuiji Temple. This huge statue, more than seven metres tall, is made from the single trunk of a Japanese cypress tree over 2,200 years old. It is said that this is the world's largest wooden Buddha statue.
- Museums, Art Galleries and Resource Centres
- 3473 Aza Kurofuji Otsu, Nakaoku, Sado, Niigata 952-1211
- Contact Information
- Hanazen Ltd.：0259-63-4422
- Official site
- Web URL
- Adults: 500 JPY / elementary schoolers: 200 JPY / group discounts available (20 or more people)
- Transport Access
- Ryotsu Port Approx 40 by car
- Car：30, Bus：6
- When visiting, please contact Hanazen (0259-63-4422).
Points of interest near Sado Daikannon Showaden
The Hojo’s Residence
This residence is home of the Hojo Family, who started Kampo medical practices in the Edo Period (1603-1867), an...
Meiji Kinendo Memorial
Meiji Kinendo was founded by Ryokan Honjo, a Buddhist monk of Tokushoji Temple, to comfort the souls of Sado Isl...
- Gift Shops
Shinsen Kukan Yorankaya
You can find locally-produced vegetables every day in one of the island's largest farm shops, Shinsen Kukan Yora...