Kasuga Shrine

A Noh stage of the Heisei era, which claims to be the origin of Sado's Noh performances

Kasuga Shrine was established in 1605, in the Aikawa Kasugazaki area, by Nagayasu Okubo, a former Noh actor and Deputy for Sado (later the first Commissioner of Sado). It was transferred to where it now stands in 1619. The Noh stage was built in 1645, and a Noh performance was offered in Sado for the first time at the shrine's festival. The present-day stage was conveyed by Suwa Shrine in the Hamochi Takidaira area, and relocated in 2006. This happened thanks to the passion of local residents who took the opportunity to mark the 400th year since Kasuga Shrine's establishment. Various events, including bonfire Noh performances held several times a year, take place in this shrine.

  • Shrines and Buddhist Temples
  • Noh Stages
Address
412 Aikawa Oritomura, Sado, Niigata 952-1582
Transport Access
Ryotsu Port Approx 45 by car
Nearest bus stop
Obanshobashi(Nanaura Kaigansen Line) Approx. 2 minutes on foot from bus stop
Parking
Not Available