Time Bell Tower

A time bell tower in Aikawa that has been telling the time since the Edo Period

Time signal in Aikawa Town started in 1709, by striking taiko drums set within the Sado Commissioner's Office. The first "time bell" was cast with Sado-produced bronze in 1712, under the ordinance of Shigehide Ogiwara, a Sado Commissioner. The time bell rang out to let people know the time until around 1871, but it then went silent. The bell recently began striking again, in the morning and evening. The brick wall is part of a former court building, and the inside serves as the Sado Hangamura (print art) Museum.

  • Heritage and Relics
  • Gold and Silver Mines
Address
4 Aikawa Yaoyamachi, Sado, Niigata 952-1545
Transport Access
Ryotsu Port Approx 50 by car
Nearest bus stop
Sado Hangamura(Honsen (Main Line)、Nanaura Kaigansen Line) Approx. 3 minutes on foot from bus stop
Parking
Not Available