A solemn sanctuary dedicated to Emperor Juntoku
Shinrinji Temple used to look after the cremation mound of Emperor Juntoku. Through the religious reform movement (which promotes shinto and destructs Buddhist temples) in the Meiji Period (late 19th century), Shinrinji was recognised as a prefectural shrine in 1874 and renamed it as Manogu Shrine. Along with Emperor Juntoku, it enshrines Michizane Sugawara (statesman worshipped as a god of learning) and Suketomo Hino (disgraced court noble exiled to Sado). The present shrine buildings were erected in 1920. Torii Gate, Shinkyo (sacred bridge), Shinmon Bridge, and shrine office were newly built, and the sanctuary was enlarged with an extension of the approach. Manogu Shrine treasures a single edged dagger, a ink stone, a fan, a suspension vase, and so on, which are considered as mementos of Emperor Juntoku.
- Shrines and Buddhist Temples
- 657 Mano, Sado, Niigata 952-0313
- Contact Information
- Transport Access
- Ryotsu Port Approx 35 by car
- Nearest bus stop
- Manoguumae（Minamisen (South Line)、Akadomarisen Line） Approx. 1 minutes on foot from bus stop
Points of interest near Manogu Shrine
- Gift Shops
- Museums, Art Galleries and Resource Centres
Sado Rekishi Densetsukan
Full-size robots intriguingly tell of the history and legends of Sado. On the first floor, famous scenes with hi...
Stone Cuddling Plum (Ishidaki no Ume)
This plum tree can be found in the garden of a privately-owned house located en route to Mano Gogyo Mausoleum. T...
- Gift Shops
Mano Kanko Centre
Mano Kanko Centre is located next to Mano Imperial Mausoleum, and houses a variety of Sado specialties, such as ...