Obuse Shrine

Obuse Shrine in Nishimikawa, which enshrines a sacred stone

Past the historic Komainu guardian statues, which are considered to have been created by masons in the Tsubakio village, the path opens out onto a vast precinct wooded with oak and Machilus trees. The shrine was reputedly established by the manor lord of Nishimikawa, Honma Yamashiro Nyudo, in the Muromachi Period (1392-1573). The object of worship is the Mikeishi stone enclosed with a stone fence at the back of the main hall. It is regarded as a sacred place where gods descend, and rituals are carried out. Komochimagatama, comma-shaped ornaments with small magatama, are unearthed from the surrounding ground, and Obuse Shrine is highly valued as an ancient site of rituals.

  • Shrines and Buddhist Temples
Address
1074 Nishimikawa, Sado, Niigata 952-0434
Contact Information
0259-58-2087
Transport Access
Ogi Port Approx 20 by car
Nearest bus stop
Kuratani(Ogi Line) Approx. 15 minutes on foot from bus stop
Parking
Not Available