Kobie Shrine

A sacred place with lush greenery featuring a stone torii gate dedicated by the Deputy for Sado

Kobie Shrine used to be a shrine for enshrining the tutelary deity that protected Rengebuji Temple, and was located within the precinct of the temple. It was later separated from the temple, and became a village shrine in the Meiji Period (1868-1912). The stone-built torii gate and main hall, enclosed in an ooiya (a layer of building covering the building inside), are both registered as National Important Cultural Properties. According to the inscription carved on the torii gate, the gate was constructed by Kaiyu, the head priest of Rengebuji Temple, with offerings from Nagayasu Okubo, the Deputy for Sado (later the first Commissioner for Sado) and his brother, Yasumasa Okubo. The thatched worship hall hosts a ritual every February, called "Ta-asobi (rice field work) Shinji," to pray for a good harvest.

  • Shrines and Buddhist Temples
Address
185 Kobie, Sado, Niigata 952-0602
Transport Access
Ogi Port Approx 5 minutes by car
Nearest bus stop
Ogi Onsenmae(Ogi Line) Approx. 30 minutes on foot from bus stop
Parking
100

About by car from Ryotsu Port.