Kusakari Shrine

A guardian shrine in the Kusakari village which is home to various performing arts

Impressive stone light towers stand along the front path leading to the worship hall. Kusakari Shrine was called "Hachioji Gozutenno" around the middle of the Edo Period (early 19th century), and worshipped as a god of agriculture. It was later called Gion Hamochi Shrine for a time, and then renamed after the old name of the village "Kusakari no Sato," in 1870. Kusakari Shrine is known for offerings of bonfire Noh performances, and a kind of kagura (dance and music dedicated to gods) called "Onimai Tsuburosashi," (designated a Niigata Prefecture Intangible Folk Cultural Asset) performed at Hamochi Festival held annually on the 15th of June. The Noh stage (also one of Niigata Prefecture's Designated Tangible Folk Cultural Assets), which is considered to have been built before the Meiji Period, has a hip-and-gable thatched roof in front and a hipped roof at the back. The structure blends well with the idyllic landscape, whilst projecting a stately ambience.

  • Shrines and Buddhist Temples
  • Noh Stages
Address
1698 Hamochi Hongo, Sado, Niigata 952-0504
Contact Information
0259-88-2489
Transport Access
Ogi Port Approx 10 minutes by car
Nearest bus stop
Hamochi Hongou(Ogi Line) Approx. 5 minutes on foot from bus stop
Parking
2

About by car from Ryotsu Port.