Dairenji Temple

A temple affiliated with the Lord of Hamochi Castle, enlivened by 320 varieties of camellia

Dairenji Temple is a temple of the Soto Zen school of Buddhism established in 1421 as a temple to take care of ancestors of the Honma clan, Lords of Hamochi Castle. The sanmon main gate is the east gate of the castle (Niigata Prefecture's Historic Site), which survived destruction in a siege by Kagekatsu Uesugi (lord of Echigo), and was later relocated. This temple served as accommodations for successive Deputies for Sado and officials in the Edo Period (1603-1867). Within the precinct, there are the 500 Arhats Hall, created by a sculptor of Buddha statues in the Edo Period; Kannondo Hall, enshrining a secret Buddhist icon, Maria-Kannon (Mary statue in Kannon disguise); and Hotei (god of good fortune) Hall worshipped for wealth and happiness. Mahori Hogan Yoshitaka, a master painter, donated his painting, entitled "Amazawa Hoteison." Dairenji Temple is one of the temples on Sado's Seven Gods of Fortune pilgrimage route. Referred to as a temple of camellia flowers, Dairenji Temple is familiar to locals,

  • Shrines and Buddhist Temples
Address
2075-Ko Hamochi Hongo, Sado, Niigata 952-0504
Contact Information
0259-88-2123
Transport Access
Ogi Port Approx 10 by car
Nearest bus stop
Sugawara Jinja Iriguchi(Akadomarisen Line、Ogi Line、Shukunegi Line、Maehama Line、Watatsu Line) Approx. 5 minutes on foot from bus stop
Parking
5