Daianji Temple

Offering memorial services for the deceased in association with the Sado gold and silver mines

Daianji was established in 1606 by Nagayasu Okubo, the first Commissioner of Sado. A long, beautifully cobbled path leads up to the Sanmon gate, and the main hall features the temple crest of three leaves of hollyhock in a circle. The temple houses a memorial tower built by Nagayasu Okubo prior to his death, and a memorial tower for Hikozaemon Kawamura who was involved in the early-stage development of the Sado gold and silver mines. Both towers are National Historic Sites. This temple also holds the burial grounds for officials who served the Sado Commissioner's Office.
A spectacular Machilus thunbergii (bay tree) grove, a Sado Natural Monument, stands behind the graveyard. Drastic urbanization due to the development of the mines significantly changed the landscape of the Aikawa area. Still, groves within the grounds of temples and shrines retain their native vegetation. Many plants such as the giant Machilus thunbergii, camellia and Euonymus japonicus (Japanese spindle) grow in the dense natural woodland of Daianji Temple.

  • Shrines and Buddhist Temples
  • Shrines and Buddhist Temples
Address
1 Aikawa Edozawamachi, Sado, Niigata 952-1547
Transport Access
Ryotsu Port Approx 50 by car
Nearest bus stop
Nishikeisatsushomae(Honsen (Main Line)) Approx. 10 minutes on foot from bus stop
Parking
Not Available