Kamo Shrine Noh Stage

An ancient shrine in Kurinoe where fowls are considered divine messengers

Kamo Shrine was established after Yoshitsuna Minamoto (also known as Jiro Kamo) was exiled to Sado in 1109, by dividing and re-enshrining the gods of Kamo Shrine in the ancient capital city of Kyoto, where he had his coming-of-age ceremony. Transferred from the original location to where it stands now, the shrine buildings were reconstructed in 1694. This shrine considers fowls to be divine messengers, so the buildings have wood-carved nosings shaped like fowl and votive panels with a fowl motif which are dedicated to the shrine, including the Giant Fowl Votive Panel (a City Designated Tangible Cultural Property). At the back of the shrine, there is a free-standing Noh stage representing Sado. The Noh stage at Kamo Shrine is one of the Four Noh Stages in the Kuninaka Area, four prestigious Noh stages where performances were regularly held, including the one at Nyakuichioji Shrine (Sawata Nakahara), Daizen Shrine (Mano Takeda), and Ushio Shrine (Niibo Katagami). Evening Noh performances are held annually in August.

  • Noh Stages
Address
Kurinoe, Sado, Niigata 952-0202
Transport Access
Ryotsu Port Approx 25 by car
Nearest bus stop
Taikakusoumae(Minamisen (South Line)) Approx. 8 minutes on foot from bus stop
Parking
Available