Kodomari Hakusan Shrine Noh Stage

Hakusan Shrine sits in a village where the Taira clan legend is alive and well

Sitting along Route 350, Kodomari Hakusan Shrine features a well-kept precinct and buildings. The shrine is believed to have originated from a small shrine built by a samurai warrior of the Taira clan, who was defeated by the Minamoto clan in the late 12th century. Kodomari flourished as a masonry center along with the adjacent Tsubakio community in the Mano area. Spectacular lion-dog statues welcome visitors to the precinct, which is known for its mound of millstones, where ones that were no longer in use were once collected from households and dedicated to the shrine.
Repaired in 2012, a Noh stage stands to the right of the shrine building. The stage is comprised of main and rear stage areas, and is equipped with a chorus area and a "noble passageway" (where nobility could pass without bowing), as well as a space to hang the big temple bell that appears in "Dojoji," one of the great Noh plays. The wall at the back has a painting of a pine tree, and the one on the east side has a painting of bamboo. The passageway connects the stage and the room behind the curtain where actors prepare, and that room is attached to the worship hall. This Noh stage is designated a City Cultural Property.

  • Shrines and Buddhist Temples
  • Noh Stages
Address
1494 Hamochi Kodomari, Sado, Niigata 952-0514
Transport Access
Ogi Port Approx 15 by car
Nearest bus stop
Kodomari(Ogi Line) Approx. 3 minutes on foot from bus stop