Chokokuji Temple Peony Festival
Peony season at Chokokuji Temple in Sado!
Located in the Hatano area, Chokokuji Temple is an ancient temple which was built in imitation of Hasedera Temple in Yamato (present-day Nara Prefecture). It is known for its peonies as well as the Rabbit Kannon statue housed there. Elegant peony flowers burst into bloom along the front path, in front of the main hall and all around the temple grounds. The first day of the two-day Peony Festival features an outdoor tea ceremony and a live performance of koto (a Japanese traditional, stringed musical instrument). The Peony Festival is a great way to enjoy a spring day surrounded by colorful peony flowers.
- Ondeko (Deity mask dance)
- Harigoma (spring foal dance)
- Starting time
- Starts at 10:00 am both days
- Event site
- Chokokuji Temple in Hatano
- 13 Hase, Sado, Niigata 952-0204
- Contact Information
- +81-0259-66-2052（Chokokuji Temple Peony Festival Committee）
- Transport Access
- Ryotsu Port Approx 30 by car
- Nearest bus stop
- Hase（Iwakubi Line） 1 minutes on foot from bus stop