A festival in Kotoura in late autumn, featuring the sounds of the lion dance and folk song tunes.
Kotoura Matsuri is the annual festival of Hakusan Shrine, situated in the Ogi Kotoura area which is famous for its good diving spots.
Two big, red lions parade through the streets from door to door on the 2nd, to drive away evil spirits. On the 3rd, members of the local youth group, clad in yukata (cotton kimono), dance from door to door. This is a rare style of folk dancing called "nagashi."
- Big Lion
- Starting time
- The afternoon of the 2nd and all day on the 3rd
- Event site
- Kotoura Village
- Kotoura, Sado, Niigata 952-0606
- Contact Information
- +81-0259-86-3200（Sado Tourism Association Minami Sado Tourist Information Office）
- Transport Access
- Ogi Port Approx 10 by car
- Nearest bus stop
- Kotoura（Shukunegi Line） Approx. 0 minutes on foot from bus stop